Every disciple of the Lord Jesus shares in this mission. To do their part, adult Catholics must be mature in faith and well equipped to share the Gospel, promoting it in every family circle, in every church gathering, in every place of work and in every public forum. -
Our Hearts Were Burning Within Us, Paragraph 2
Adult Faith Formation
The Diocese of Reno recognizes the importance and priority that Adult Faith Formation must have for the faithful to grow and deepen their knowledge and love of God, and continually mature as Catholic Christians and disciples of Jesus Christ.
The vision of adult faith formation for the Diocese of Reno is one that challenges our parishes to become more dynamic communities that support lifelong learning and growth in discipleship by placing adult faith formation at the center of parish life. Our vision is of a diocese made up of parishes where all of our adult members are immersed in lifelong catechesis and the mission of building up the Kingdom of God.
Adult Faith Formation is not a program; it is a process, an approach, a philosophy which:
Role of the Diocese of Reno:
- allows for growth in the life of Christ through experience, reflection, prayer and study (Our Hearts Were Burning Within Us, 5)
- must be situated not at the periphery of the Church's educational mission, but at its center (OHWB, 42)
- leads to a living, explicit and fruitful faith (OHWB 49)
The primary role of the Diocese of Reno is to affirm the priority of adult catechesis and to provide leadership, workshops, personnel, services and resources to assist parishes in developing adult faith formation programs.
The Diocese of Reno is enthusiastically committed to an ongoing, dynamic vision of Adult Faith Formation and to supporting parish efforts to implement the potential mandates of the 2015 Diocesan Synod.
- The priority of lifelong Catholic education as the center of our Diocesan and parish catechetical efforts.
- That the parish itself is an environment of adult faith formation. Every activity and relationship is a formative experience for learners and has the potential to form mature disciples.
- The call to place adult faith formation at the center of the Church’s catechetical mission involves a conversion and a shift in priorities, thinking and commitments.
- The importance of the family in our adult faith formation efforts.
- The connection between adult catechesis, lay ministry, stewardship and the challenge to Catholics to engage in prayer, service, and sharing to advance the mission of the Church.