Throughout the year employment opportunities open within the Chancery office, parishes and schools. We welcome all qualified persons to apply for these positions!
All interested persons must complete an application. Employment will be contingent upon an applicant successfully passing a background check and completing the Safe Environment requirements.
Applications and necessary documents maybe downloaded from here.
Current Employment Opportunities within the Diocese
DEANERY COORDINATOR OF YOUTH MINISTRY
The Deanery Coordinator of Youth Ministry (DCYM) will support parishes and missions in evangelizing young people by promoting effective, comprehensive parish and deanery youth ministry in the Walker River Deanery (Holy Family, Our Lady of Perpetual Help, St. John the Baptist, St. John the Baptist Mission, St. Patrick and St. Robert Bellarmine). Through working with the Pastors, Core Teams, Confirmation Coordinators, Youth and their Families, the DYCM will coordinate efforts to assist in the development and implementation of the directions and outcomes indicated in the “Youth” component from the 2nd Synod of the Diocese of Reno to create “Vibrant and Visible” youth ministry within the Walker River Deanery.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:
(other duties may be assigned)
Parish Staff Member–the DCYM will be responsible to:
- Attend and participate in regular parish staff, parish council and deanery meetings and planning
- Communicate through both verbal and written reports to all pastors, parish staff, parish councils and other essential committees and ministries as an advocate for youth and youth ministry for each parish
- Seek parish staff and Core Team input in planning youth ministry activities at each parish
- Be a resource person to all pastors, parish staff and Core Team on issues related to youth and youth ministry
- Communicate frequently via phone, email, digital/social media, bulletins, newsletters, bulletin boards, etc. to youth, families, parish and deanery at large updates regarding youth and youth ministry activities, programs and successes
- Meet regularly as scheduled with your direct supervisor (Pastor of St. Robert Bellarmine)
- Monitor and maintain budget and financial records in association with each parish and the deanery as needed
- Attend all meetings and trainings (monthly, quarterly, and one-on-ones) coordinated through the Diocese of Reno Office of Youth and Young Adult Ministry.
Parish Youth Ministry- The DCYM’s responsibilities include:
- Facilitating the Core Leadership Team of youth and adults, which is responsible for planning, implementing, and evaluating a comprehensive youth ministry program as identified in the1997 USCCB document, Renewing The Vision: A Framework for Catholic Youth Ministry, that integrates the directions and outcomes from the 2nd Synod of the Diocese of Reno objectives on youth
- Coordinating the recruitment, training, supporting, evaluating and retention of Core Leadership Team and additional volunteers in the youth ministry program to accompany young people, develop disciples and support the Core Leadership Team
- Follows and ensures all diocesan policies are met for Safe Environment and participation of both youth and adults involved in any and all activities/events at the parish, deanery, diocesan, regional, national and international levels
- Develop a partnership and work in collaboration with the DRE, Confirmation Coordinator, Scouting Leaders, etc. to best serve all young people and their families.
- Developing a systematic and intentional plan for adolescent catechesis that utilizes a creative variety of formats, settings, and timeframes
- Work with the Core Leadership Team to help design/select and review curriculum and program resources
- Fostering the involvement of young people in the life of the parish, including serving on various parish committees and being involved in parish activities
- Coordinating the outreach to and evangelization of all young people in the parish
- Providing appropriate services and programs for parents of adolescents
- Encourage participation in deanery, diocesan, regional, national and international events for young people and adult leaders
- Develop a relationship and work in collaboration with the local schools, sports and organizational (4-H, Boys and Girls Club, etc.)leaders who also work and serve young people to avoid schedule conflicts, build relational youth ministry, and develop peer to peer leadership and evangelization
- Work closely with the Pastor to determine who to network and advocate for the continued support of youth ministry
Deanery Youth Ministry- The DCYM’s responsibilities include:
- Provide opportunities for Core Leadership Team Networking and planning for deanary wide events including retreats, service days and socials
- Provide ongoing, training, formation, mentoring and accompaniment to the Core Leadership Team collectively and separately as needed
- Act as an advocate and liaison between the parishes within the deanery and to the diocese
- Promote, encourage and participate on the Diocesan Youth Council (DYC), on both the deanery and diocesan levels
- Assist with locating, developing, and applying for additional grants to fund the program for years two and three, until the program can be fully funded by the parishes within the deanery
- Serving as the liaison with the diocesan office of youth ministry and their programs, services and resource
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
The DCYM must be able to demonstrate the following aptitudes:
- Must be a practicing Roman Catholic in good standing and sensitive to a variety of Catholic experiences
- A Bachelor’s degree in Theology, Pastoral Ministry, or related field; or the equivalent experience
- Knowledge of Catholic teachings, catechesis and documents on youth ministry
- Must be a self-starter, possess good organizational skills, time-management and interpersonal skills with the ability to work cooperatively with parish employees and volunteers, as well as priest, religious and lay people of the deanery
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in both English and Spanish
- Proficient in the use of Word, Excel, Microsoft Office, and Social Media Platforms
- Ability to read, prepare, and manage budgets for major events, programs, fundraising and grant work
- Due to the geographical extent of the Walker River Deanery and the nature of the job requirements, the DCYM must have a driver’s license and the ability to travel frequently by car to parish sites, to the Pastoral Center in Reno and be available to work on nights and weekends
- Understanding and experience of a multicultural perspective
- Knowledge of small rural parishes, athletic ministry and scouting helpful
- The DCYM position is a contracted one-year, full-time salaried position in a rural deanery in a mission diocese, with the possibility to renew the contract based on grant funding
- Full benefits and paid training are available
Please submit your application, with resume by October 31, 2018 to ChristinaD@catholicreno.org
The mission of the Diocese survives and thrives through its many volunteers. We welcome all who wish to volunteer. So that a Safe Environment is maintained, all volunteers who have regular access to children and vulnerable adults must submit an application, have a background check and fulfill the Protecting God’s Children requirements.
Those necessary documents are: