Please note: For questions about an upcoming wedding or other wedding information, contact your local parish office, or the parish where you plan to have your wedding.
Continuing the vision of the 2nd Synod of the Diocese of Reno the Office of Marriage and Family Life supports parishes in ministering to families to promote the Sacrament of Matrimony, provide for stronger marriages and families, and accompany those who are preparing for marriage.
Marriage and Family Directions and Outcomes
Direction I: Promote the sacrament of matrimony and provide for stronger marriages
- Outcome 1 The Diocese will develop and implement a plan to increase promotion of the Worldwide Marriage Encounter (and other similar programs) within two years which shall include follow up for participating couples.
- Outcome 2 Each parish will ensure that its religious education programs include catechesis on vocations to marriage, religious life, and priesthood.
- Outcome 3 Each parish will integrate Theology of the Body education throughout the entirety of their religious education program within three years. The Diocese will provide professional training to parish catechists in Theology of the Body.
- Outcome 4 The Diocese will ensure that each parish is providing a robust marriage preparation program within two years. The program will include the topics of finance, natural family planning, child rearing, conflict resolution and compatibility.
Direction II: Provide pastoral and professional support to family life in all its various forms.
- Outcome 1 Each parish shall, within two years, put in place ministry support for families experiencing transitions.
- Outcome 2 Each deanery will establish support groups for divorced persons within three years.
Direction III: Foster God-centered families.
- Outcome 1 Each parish will develop and implement a plan within three years to encourage family participation in the liturgical life of the parish.
- Outcome 2 Each parish will offer religious education classes for parents, which run in conjunction with their children’s classes, beginning within three years, exempting those parishes where this is not possible.
- Outcome 3 Each parish will regularly provide retreats for families, beginning within three years. When this is not possible, outside retreat opportunities will be offered.
- Outcome 4 Each parish or deanery will develop and implement a plan to create opportunities for fellowship between families both local and regional, within three year