What can be done to LIVE
the Year of Mercy
in the parish and home?
- Talk about the Corporal and Spiritual works of Mercy, and then provide activities for the youth to practice them
- Provide ways to deal with anger
- Access the Diocese of Reno YouTube channel for videos on mercy, compassion, forgiveness, and talk with your youth about these
- Celebrate the communal Sacrament of Reconciiation at Advent and Lent
- Either begin or enhance a hospitality ministry that welcomes people who are coming back to the church, or who are curious about Catholics
- Check out what the USCCB has to offer
- Check out this downloadable from Catholic Relief Services. Additional resources include a prayer, a primer about the Year of Mercy, adult faith sharing sessions, a slideshow presentation on the Corporal Works of Mercy, homily helps and more. Visit the CRS website to view all of these Year of Mercy resources.
- Maryknoll invites us to share "mercy moments" throughout the year - yours could even end up being shared on social media (a "mercy meme"?!). These moments can be those you have witnessed, those you have offered, or a moment during which someone has been merciful to you.
- Celebrate the Sacrament of Reconciliation more frequently, and then discern who you need to forgive
- Participate in the pilgrimage within the Diocese of Reno
- Try to hold our tongues when talking about others, and learn to actively listen
- Pray for the Right to Life for the unborn, the elderly and very sick, the condemned
- Work to erase poverty in the community